Manage your future data requirements with the SC7020. Feature rich SAN performance on a single array to overcome a variety of storage obstacles. With multiprotocol options and proven enterprise features, you can ensure your data center has the flexibility required to grow with your business.
Dual 2.5GHz 8-core Intel Xeon processors per controller
2 dual-active controllers per array
Dell Storage Center 7.1 or higher
Max system memory
256GB per array (128GB per controller)
30 x 2.5” drive bays
Max drive count
Max raw capacity
3PB per array (SSD or HDD)
> 1 million maximum IOPS with latency under 1ms
Based on internal tests performed in February, 2018 on all-flash configurations. 100% sequential reads with 4K sector transfer size. Actual performance will vary based on configuration, usage and manufacturing variability.
> 340,000 IOPS for 80/20 OLTP-type workloads
Based on internal tests performed in February 2018 on all-flash configurations running OLTP type workloads with 80% reads, 20% writes and 4k sector transfer size. Actual performance will vary based on configuration, usage and manufacturing variability.
29,000 MB/s bandwidth
Based on internal tests in February 2018 on all-flash configurations running 100% sequential reads. Tests covered 256Kb-2048Kb sector transfer sizes. Actual performance will vary based on model, configuration, usage and manufacturing variability.
All-in-one unit (dual controllers, internal drive bays, network I/O) Additional capacity via optional expansion enclosures
Internal storage capacity
32 x 2.5" drive bays
Dual hot-swappable per chassis (active/active)
2 per controller Intel® Xeon ® E5-2628v3 2.5GHz, 8 cores
128GB per controller 256GB per array
SCOS 7.1 or higher
Max raw capacity
Maximum drive count
Supported expansion enclosures
12Gb SAS SC400: 12 x 3.5" bays SC420: 24 x 2.5" bays SC460: 60 x 3.5" bays
6Gb SAS SC200: 12 x 3.5" bays SC220: 24 x 2.5" bays SC280: 84 x 3.5" bays
Storage media support
SAS, NL-SAS (different drive types, transfer rates and rotational speeds can be mixed in same system) SSD: Write-intensive and read-intensive drives HDD: 15K, 10K, 7.2K RPM
Network and Expansion I/O
FC, iSCSI (supports simultaneous multiprotocol)
Max 32Gb FC ports
24 per array (SFP+)
Max 16Gb FC ports
24 per array (SFP+)
Max 100Gb iSCSI ports(9)
16 per array (QSFP28)
Max 25Gb iSCSI ports(9)
16 per array (SFP28)
Max 10Gb iSCSI ports
32 per array (SFP+ or BASE-T)
Max 12Gb SAS (front-end)
2 per array (1Gb BASE-T)
Back-end expansion protocols
12Gb SAS (also supports 6Gb expansion)
Max back-end expansion ports
Functional & Performance
All-flash, all-HDD, or hybrid mix
Native block (SAN)(15)
Max SAN hosts
Max initiator ports
Max LUN size
Max number of LUNs
Max number of snapshots
Max IOPS(2) (with latency <1ms)
Max IOPS(9) (80% reads, 20% writes)
Max throughput (reads)(11)
Max throughput (writes)(11)
Policy-based migration based on real-time data usage, customizable 512KB-4MB page size.
Up to 3 primary (media-based) tiers total, up to 2 SSD tiers (write- and read-intensive SSDs)
Auto-provisions and dynamically restripes multiple RAID levels on the same tier; eliminates need to pre-allocate RAID groups
User-defined profiles, option to "pin" volumes to any tier or RAID level
RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, RAID 10, and RAID 10 DM (Dual Mirror); any combination of RAID levels can exist in single array
Active by default on all volumes, operates at full performance across all features
Records changes only, snapshots auto-migrate to lower-cost storage
Intelligent deduplication and compression
Selectable option per volume "Deduplication + compression" mode "Compression-only" mode
Data Mobility and Migration Replication
Heterogeneous arrays (SC Series any-to-any) Synchronous/Asynchronous via FC or iSCSI Target/source relationships may be one-to-many or many-to-one Supports all SC data services on source and target volumes Change replication types and topologies on demand Supports cross-platform replication with PS Series/EqualLogic arrays (either direction)
Live Migrate (included in base product) enables host-transparent data movement among arrays; see also Federation section
Federated multi-array systems
Live Migrate (included in base product) enables host-transparent movement of volumes among arrays Snapshots maintained/preserved during migration(14)
Space-efficient, non-disruptive data migration from PS Series (EqualLogic) and MD3 arrays
Clone standalone volumes with zero duplication of data Clones maintain independent snapshots and replication Ideal for VDI, test/dev, other applications that require discrete instances of common data More efficient than dedupe for database copies
Data Protection, Disaster Recovery, Security, Business continuity
Live Volume bi-directional auto-failover, auto-repair3 Heterogeneous arrays (SC Series any-to-any, except SCv2000) Continuous operations, disaster recovery, disaster avoidance Includes third-site (tertiary) replication options with Live Volume Managed Replication Zero RTO/RPO with customizable site failover SLAs per volume VMware Metro Stretch Cluster, VMware Site Recovery Manager support
Records changes only, snapshots auto-migrate to lower-cost storage
Application-consistent snapshots in Microsoft, VMware, Oracle environments
Supports self-encrypting drives (SEDs) Full Disk Encryption (FCE) based on AES-256 Drives certified to FIPS 140-2 Level 2 Key Management Server (KMS) options available for FIPS 140-2 Level 1, 2 and 3
Browser-based (HTML 5) - CloudIQ (cloud-based storage monitoring and analytics) - Unisphere for SC (single-array element manager, no software installation required) - Unisphere Central for SC (multi-array management)
Create large multi-array systems under unified management, with seamless workload migration between arrays via included Live Migrate feature. Add arrays non-disruptively, efficiently utilizing their combined capacity and performance. Volume Advisor monitors federated arrays to suggest optimal data placement and load balancing. Volume movement does not impact snapshots or replication data protection. Federate like or unlike arrays, all SC models supported.(13)
Transfer drives from SC4020 head unit and any expansions enclosures directly to new SC5020 or SC7020 system.(14,1)
Coexistence with PS Series arrays
Replication in either direction Day-to-day management from a single interface Thin import: space-efficient, non-disruptive data migration from PS Series arrays
VMware vSphere Metro Storage Cluster, VMware SRM, Veritas Storage Foundations Suite, IBM VIOS Recognized, Oracle Validated Infrastructure (OVI); see Dell Storage Support Matrix for additional certifications and details
Support assist (phone home), remote diagnostics and performance monitoring, automated alerts, reports and notifications, departmental chargeback
Online, non-disruptive.(16) Firmware may be set to download automatically, with option to trigger installation manually if desired.
13.33 cm (5.25 inches)
44.5 cm (17.52 inches)
78.5 cm (30.9 inches)
Weight at max configuration
24.22 kg (53.4 lb)
15.15 kg (33.4 lb)
ReadyRails™ II static rails for tool-less mounting in 4-post racks with square or unthreaded round holes, or tooled mounting in 4-post threaded-hole racks
2 hot-swappable 1485W power supplies
Maximum output power
Maximum input power
Maximum input current
Maximum inrush current
55A for 10 ms or less
Nominal input voltage operating range
Nominal input frequency
Thermal output/heat dissipation (maximum)
5,760 BTU per hour (all-in-one base appliance, no expansion enclosures)
Environmental Operating Conditions
52 - 95°F (10 - 35°C)
-40 - 149°F (-40 - 65°C)
Operating humidity ranges (non-condensing)
10% to 80% with 29°C (84.2°F) maximum dew point
Non-operating humidity (non-condensing)
5% to 95% with 33°C (91°F) maximum dew point
NEMA 5-15/CS22.2, n°44
Dell ProSupport with deployment and consulting services. Optional ProSupport Plus is available offering proactive and preventative services to improve performance and stability. Dell Optimize is available for additional ongoing strategic counsel and guidance from a highly trained system analyst.
Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC)
Dell EMC Live Optics
All SSDs are warrantied for full lifetime wear-out replacement with valid service agreement. SSD warranty covers all formats: SLC, MLC and TLC
(1) Net usable capacity of Dell array with 5 years of support, after 4:1 data reduction, vs. major competitors net of data reduction. Street price analysis is based on a variety of sources including analyst data, price sheets when available, and public information as of January 2017.
(2) Based on internal tests performed in February, 2018 on all-flash configurations. 100% sequential reads with 4K sector transfer size. Actual performance will vary based on configuration, usage and manufacturing variability. See Specifications section for additional Dell EMC performance test results.
(3) Requires optional Live Volume feature
(4) Based on internal tests in February 2018 on all-flash SC9000 configurations running 100% sequential reads. Tests covered 16Kb-2048Kb sector transfer sizes. Actual performance will vary based on model, configuration, usage and manufacturing variability.
(5) Based on internal tests performed by Dell EMC on SCv3000 array with and without distributed sparing mode active. Actual performance will vary based on configuration, usage and manufacturing variability.
(6) Ranking by vendor revenue. IDC Tracker, "Worldwide Quarterly Enterprise Storage Systems Tracker." 1Q17.
(7) Availability and terms of Dell Services vary by region. Contact your Dell representative or Authorized Partner for details.
(8) Contact your Dell EMC representative or Authorized Partner for details regarding the Future-Proof Storage Loyalty Program. Terms and Conditions apply.
(9) Requires update to SCOS 7.3 for support. Subject to hardware availability (estimated Q218 for 25Gb, Q318 for 100Gb).
(10) Based on internal tests performed in February 2018 on all-flash configurations running OLTP type workloads with 80% reads, 20% writes and 4k sector transfer size. Actual performance will vary based on configuration, usage and manufacturing variability.
(11) Based on internal tests in February 2018 on all-flash configurations running 100% sequential reads. Tests covered 16Kb-2048Kb sector transfer sizes for SC9000, and 256Kb-2048Kb sizes for SCv3000, SC5020 and SC7020. Actual performance will vary based on model, configuration, usage and manufacturing variability.
(12) Based on internal tests in February 2018 on all-flash configurations running 100% sequential writes. Tests covered 64Kb-2048Kb sector transfer size for SC9000 and SC5020, 128Kb-2048Kb for SC7020, and 256Kb-2048Kb for SC7020. Actual performance will vary based on model, configuration, usage and manufacturing variability.
(13) Multiple SC Series arrays may be deployed in federated configurations using the Live Migrate feature included with firmware version 7.1 and above. Transparent, non-disruptive volume movement among arrays is enabled, allowing the combined capacity and cache of the entire federated cluster to be seamlessly utilized for maximum performance and scalability in expanding data centers. For example, a cluster of 10 SC9000 arrays can provide a total of over 10,000 drives (up to 60PB raw capacity) with over 5TB of system memory.
(14) Available Q218 for SC5020, Q318 for SC7020. Professional Services assistance required, subject to system eligibility requirements. Contact your Dell EMC representative or Authorized Partner for details.
(15) File solution available via optional NX Series NAS appliance.
(16) Although upgrades are non-disruptive in the vast majority of cases, Dell EMC reserves the right to release firmware that requires a reboot if necessary to protect user security or system integrity.